subversion-users mailing list archives

From Ryan Schmidt <subversion-2...@ryandesign.com>
Subject Re: svn list support for listing directory entries only
Date Sun, 04 May 2014 03:35:39 GMT

On May 3, 2014, at 22:32, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> On May 3, 2014, at 21:25, Dan Ellis wrote:
>
>> Its really a performance concern.  We need to do this fairly regularly on a large
repository (over a WAN I might add) and asking the server for all files and directories when
we really only need a directory listing is really a huge time sink (a 100:1 file to directory
ratio would result in a listing time of 100 times slower).  Grep and the like only format
the output on the client side (which is easily parsable - we do use xml to parse) and don't
relieve the performance burden.

> Ok. You’re right, that capability is not built in. You could write a small program
to do it (using the Subversion language bindings for the language of your choice).

Actually that’s speculation. I don’t know the Subversion libraries, and it’s entirely
possible they don’t provide a way to do this; they may just give you the entire directory
listing, leaving you with having to discard the non-directories. And that in turn may turn
out to be because the server has no API for giving you anything other than a full directory
listing; I’m not sure.