subversion-users mailing list archives

From Ryan Schmidt <subversion-2...@ryandesign.com>
Subject Simultaneous svnserve requests lead to "Can't read from connection: Connection reset by peer"
Date Fri, 02 May 2014 10:22:58 GMT
Hello,

I’m writing a script wherein I run many different “svn export” operations. To try to
speed things up, I have the script running up to 8 of these simultaneously, and I’m occasionally
getting this error:

svn: E000054: Unable to connect to a repository at URL 'svn://example.local/trunk/foo'
svn: E000054: Can't read from connection: Connection reset by peer

Is there a limit on the number of simultaneous connections I can make from a single svn client
to svnserve?

The client and server are on a local network connected by 100mbit Ethernet. Both are 64-bit
Intel Macs running OS X 10.9.2 with Subversion 1.8.8 installed using MacPorts. The server
is started with a shell script containing:

#!/bin/sh
svnserve --daemon --foreground --read-only --log-file /dev/stdout --client-speed 100 --root
"$(dirname "$0")"

Here is a simplified script that reproduces the problem:

#!/bin/sh
URL=svn://example.local/trunk/foo
DIR=/tmp/svntest
rm -rf ${DIR}1 ${DIR}2 ${DIR}3 ${DIR}4 ${DIR}5 ${DIR}6 ${DIR}7 ${DIR}8 ${DIR}9 ${DIR}10
svn export ${URL} ${DIR}1 &
svn export ${URL} ${DIR}2 &
svn export ${URL} ${DIR}3 &
svn export ${URL} ${DIR}4 &
svn export ${URL} ${DIR}5 &
svn export ${URL} ${DIR}6 &
svn export ${URL} ${DIR}7 &
svn export ${URL} ${DIR}8 &
svn export ${URL} ${DIR}9 &
svn export ${URL} ${DIR}10 &

(3 of the 10 exports fail with the above error)

When the error occurs, svnserve’s output doesn’t mention any error occurring.