subversion-users mailing list archives

From Branko Čibej <br...@wandisco.com>
Subject Re: .svn directory - safe to add files in ".svn" or ".svn/tmp"?
Date Mon, 05 May 2014 04:26:25 GMT
On 04.05.2014 22:46, David Balažic wrote:
> Branko Čibej <brane <at> wandisco.com> writes:
>
>>     It's not a question of SVN being fragile or not. The .svn/ directory
>>     is private to Subversion and you're not allowed to fiddle with it.
> Servus Branko,
>
> related to this, is the name ".svn" reserved/prohibited?
> What if I wanted to commit a bunch of files that would contain a file (or
> folder) named ".svn".
> With recent SVN versions, there is no .svn folder in each WC folder, so it
> would not immediately conflict.

It might not conflict, unless someone decides to check out a subset of
your repository (or define an external referring to such a subset) that
just happens to have that object called ".svn" at the root of the
checkout. So no, I would not recommend that. Happily, Subversion doesn't
allow it, either.

-- Brane

--
Branko Čibej | Director of Subversion