subversion-users mailing list archives

From Ryan Schmidt <subversion-2...@ryandesign.com>
Subject Re: svn list support for listing directory entries only
Date Sun, 04 May 2014 03:32:25 GMT

On May 3, 2014, at 21:25, Dan Ellis wrote:

> Its really a performance concern.  We need to do this fairly regularly on a large repository
(over a WAN I might add) and asking the server for all files and directories when we really
only need a directory listing is really a huge time sink (a 100:1 file to directory ratio
would result in a listing time of 100 times slower).  Grep and the like only format the output
on the client side (which is easily parsable - we do use xml to parse) and don't relieve the
performance burden.

Ok. You’re right, that capability is not built in. You could write a small program to do
it (using the Subversion language bindings for the language of your choice).