subversion-users mailing list archives

From Warren Block <wbl...@wonkity.com>
Subject Re: Update-Only Checkout Enhancement
Date Wed, 11 Dec 2013 22:58:24 GMT
On Wed, 11 Dec 2013, Les Mikesell wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 11, 2013 at 11:16 AM, Bob Archer <Bob.Archer@amsi.com> wrote:
>>> Yes, I understand the export function.  I want functionality for release
>>> management into test and production environments.
>>>
>>> For these environments I have a few requirements:
>>>       Files in these environments will NEVER be edited
>>>       For new releases I will need to perform an update to revision, which
>>> will add, update and delete needed files
>>>       I want as small of a .svn directory as possible
>>
>> Why? Disk is cheap. Much cheaper than the time it would take to modify svn to work
the way you are requesting. Heck, I just bought a 1TB SSD for ~$500. The spinning version
was about $120.

> Sometimes it is a good idea to distribute work out to clients and
> sometimes you really want the client to just be a lightweight client
> and make the server do the work of serving.   I've always liked the
> minimal amount of data that CVS needs on the clients and sometimes
> wished that svn could match that.

When FreeBSD switched from CVS to Subversion, there were a couple of
projects attempting to replace our cvsup/csup commands for simple,
history-less, source checkouts.

One of these projects was svnup, http://jcm.dsl.visi.com/freebsd/svnup/

Not sure of the present status.