subversion-users mailing list archives

From Les Mikesell <lesmikes...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Update-Only Checkout Enhancement
Date Wed, 11 Dec 2013 17:47:10 GMT
On Wed, Dec 11, 2013 at 11:16 AM, Bob Archer <Bob.Archer@amsi.com> wrote:
>> Yes, I understand the export function.  I want functionality for release
>> management into test and production environments.
>>
>> For these environments I have a few requirements:
>>       Files in these environments will NEVER be edited
>>       For new releases I will need to perform an update to revision, which
>> will add, update and delete needed files
>>       I want as small of a .svn directory as possible
>
> Why? Disk is cheap. Much cheaper than the time it would take to modify svn to work the
way you are requesting. Heck, I just bought a 1TB SSD for ~$500. The spinning version was
about $120.

Sometimes it is a good idea to distribute work out to clients and
sometimes you really want the client to just be a lightweight client
and make the server do the work of serving.   I've always liked the
minimal amount of data that CVS needs on the clients and sometimes
wished that svn could match that.

> I would recommend you write a script that does an export rather than using the update
feature. Although, this would probably mean the task would take longer, since you don't have
the benefit of the .svn pristines to know what changed files need to be requested from the
server. But, it sounds like you care more about disk space than network traffic and/or time.
Of course, that is your decision to make.

Within reasonable limits it doesn't cost anything more to send more
network traffic.   But the cost of client disks scales up by the
number of clients.   Sometimes you can get by mounting a network disk
into all the clients, but then performance suffers, especially with
windows clients.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell@gmail.com