subversion-users mailing list archives

From Les Mikesell <lesmikes...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Update-Only Checkout Enhancement
Date Thu, 12 Dec 2013 01:19:33 GMT
On Wed, Dec 11, 2013 at 3:05 PM, Bob Archer <Bob.Archer@amsi.com> wrote:

>> watcher or something) running to determine if a file is modified?
>>
>> Yes.

Why would you need that in real-time instead of only when an svn
operation is done (possibly never...).

>> > Also, it would mean you would need a constant connection to the server to
>> use a subversion working copy.

That's hardly a problem these days,

>> Not necessarily; we don't need a pristine copy to check if a file is modified, or
>> if 's out of date WRT the repository. But the former problem (requiring a
>> daemon) is already a non-starter.
>
> Right, but if a file is modified you would need to contact the repository to get the
pristine because you are going to get an event "after" the file is modified. There may be
some transactional file systems that allow you to get an event before the modification is
committed to the file system so you can access the original copy, but I think they are few
and far between.

Assuming you have metadata to know the revision of the file, what
possible scenario can there be that you could not get a copy of that
revision back from the server if you happen to need it?   Isn't that
why you put it there in the first place?  Or if you were headed this
route, wouldn't it be better to send the new copy to the server and
let it do the server work?   Unless your pending operation is a
revert, in which case you would want that copy from the server.

--
   Les Mikesell
      lesmikesell@gmail.com