subversion-users mailing list archives

From Thomas Harold <thomas-li...@nybeta.com>
Subject Re: Tools for projecting growth of repository storage?
Date Thu, 12 Dec 2013 17:34:12 GMT
On 12/2/2013 7:58 PM, Eric Johnson wrote:
> Anyone have a suggestion for a tool that projects the growth of
> repository storage.
>
> I've got repos taking over 75% of a disk volume, and I'm curious to
> project out when I'll need new storage.
>
> Obviously, this is approximate, but has anyone got a tool for it?
>
> Eric.

We keep our repositories on a dedicated file system (ext4) and run
"collectd" on the box to track file system space usage (the "df" plugin).

Combine that with a graphing tool for collectd that can read the RRD
files (such as the web-based CGP front-end) and we get nice pretty charts.

http://imgur.com/xDZ9BGu

As you can see in Week 27-29, we had some runaway growth which alerted
me that I needed to take a look at what was being automatically
committed.  In our case, it was FSVS doing automated commits of a Linux
box where we should have ignored/excluded some additional directories.

When looking at my quarterly graph (13 weeks), CGP gives me numbers like:

Used (Minimum) 96.9GB Used (Last) 99.2GB - which means I have only seen
2.3GB of growth over 13 weeks, or about 10GB per year at current rate of
growth.

We also run a small script each day that checks the file systems and
sends an alert if any file system is over 75% full.