subversion-users mailing list archives

From Daniel Shahaf <...@daniel.shahaf.name>
Subject Re: Update-Only Checkout Enhancement
Date Thu, 12 Dec 2013 19:58:44 GMT
Bob Archer wrote on Wed, Dec 11, 2013 at 21:05:46 +0000:
> There may be some transactional file systems that allow you to get an
> event before the modification is committed to the file system so you
> can access the original copy, but I think they are few and far
> between.

And also would require new code on svn's side to be written.

There are, though, deduplicating filesystems, that store a file just
once if there are several copies of it.  That means a file and its
pristine won't consume twice the platter space, assuming the file
doesn't use either svn:keywords or svn:eol-style=native.

(I'm thinking of zfs.  And BTW, the pristine store also deduplicates, so
if two pristines have the same sha1, they're stored just once.)