subversion-users mailing list archives

From "Kozinska, Maria" <Maria.Kozin...@sabre.com>
Subject The difference between peg rev merge and 2-URL merge with the same source URLs.
Date Fri, 04 Oct 2013 11:14:11 GMT
In our project we use subversion-1.7.11 with JavaHL binding. You made great job!

We are using 2-url merge to implement behavior of single-url merge with revision ranges. We
are considering replacing it. Is there any user visible impact?

We are currently using:
client.merge(source, fromRev, source, toRev, workingCopy, false, Depth.infinity, false, false,
false);
which we want to replace with:
client.merge(source, Revision.HEAD, Arrays.asList(new RevisionRange(fromRev, toRev)), workingCopy,
false, Depth.infinity, false, false, false);

In the svn documentation I found that whenever possible, 2-URL merge syntax should be avoided.
In the mailing list archive I found a description of 2-url merge, which as I understands says
that with single URL merge the user gets less merge conflicts:

     This is the most flexible type of merge, but also the most difficult
     to use. It can be used to merge the differences between two (possibly
     ancestrally unrelated) branches into a working copy of another branch.
     This type of merge should be used very carefully because the probability
     of merge conflicts is quite high. If possible, avoid doing 2-URL merges.

Is it applicable for the case where we use the same value for both source URLs? If so, can
you please give us the scenario where we can see the difference?

Regards,
Maria Kozinska