subversion-users mailing list archives

From Andrew Reedick <Andrew.Reed...@cbeyond.net>
Subject RE: Copy changes from one branch to another
Date Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:11:37 GMT

i.e. make branch A effectively a tag.  Since the delete and copy are server side commands,
no workspace is needed to make it work.  However this will fail if (when) you need to make
custom changes on branch A.

> But that has the effect that i will have all the changes from trunk in branch A, which
is not what I want. I only want some certain changes inside there, the changes committed from
our team.

Go with Thorsten Schöning's svn:externals solution.  If you can't use svn:externals then
you'll most likely need to merge, which requires a workspace and runs the risk of merge conflicts,
which tends to preclude automation.  Either way, be careful that you're not trying to replace
a complicated workflow/process with overly simplistic automation, i.e. don't replace merging
or a formal delivery process with mindless automated commit replication.