subversion-users mailing list archives

From "Bay Karsten (BEG/ESR3)" <Karsten....@de.bosch.com>
Subject WG: "svn status -u" and svn:externals - bug?
Date Thu, 02 May 2013 06:59:33 GMT
Hi SVN users,

I got no answer until now.

I think the problem described below is a bug.
Do you agree?

Is it too complex to understand?
If something is inexplicit please let me know.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best regards

Karsten Bay

Bosch Engineering GmbH
BEG/ESR3
Postfach 13 50
74003 Heilbronn
GERMANY

Karsten.Bay@de.bosch.com<mailto:Karsten.Bay@de.bosch.com>

Sitz: Abstatt, Registergericht: Amtsgericht Stuttgart HRB 108931
Aufsichtsratsvorsitzender: Rolf Leonhard; Geschäftsführung: Bernhard Bihr, Hanno Miorini
Umsatzsteuer-Identnummer (VAT no.): DE 18 21 37 093, Steuernummer: 99012/08009

Von: Bay Karsten (BEG/ESR3)
Gesendet: Freitag, 12. April 2013 15:49
An: 'users@subversion.apache.org'
Betreff: "svn status -u" and svn:externals - bug?

Hi SVN users,

I searched for this problem in the open issues but could not find a similar problem.
Can you help me to find out if this is a known problem/bug?

I have a repository with a few svn:externals. Some of them point to a specific revision (e.g.
trunk@8) of their repository.
When I look up with "svn status -u" if I have to do an update SVN shows me files out of this
external repositories which should be reputedly newer on the server.
The problem is that the external repository has newer revisions with a newer version of this
file but this should not play a role for my repository (because of the trunk@8).

Example extract of the console output:
----------
C:\WORKSPACE\SVN>svn propget svn:externals
file://???/SW/trunk@8 SW

C:\WORKSPACE\SVN>svn status -u
X                    SW
Status against revision:    117

Performing status on external item at 'SW':
        *        8   C:\WORKSPACE\SVN\SW\Code.c
Status against revision:     13
----------

I looked in the source code and tried to find the reason for this behavior.
I think that the problem is in status-cmd.c svn_cl__status().
There I found this piece of code which may cause this problem:
  /* We want our -u statuses to be against HEAD. */
  rev.kind = svn_opt_revision_head;
In my opinion in the case of external repository with fixed revision the check should be performed
against this revision?

A similar problem exists if I do an update on a subfolder (one which is added by svn:externals
and points to a specific revision) of my repository then the HEAD revision of this folder
is checked out.

If needed I can try to do a repro-template.bat.
Normally I work with TortoiseSVN and SVN Notifier but because of the problem I tried to reproduce
it on the command line.

Windows 7 - Subversion 1.7.9