subversion-users mailing list archives

From Ryan Schmidt <subversion-20...@ryandesign.com>
Subject Re: a svn revert question
Date Sat, 09 Mar 2013 03:04:34 GMT

On Mar 8, 2013, at 09:06, frame wrote:

> Let's say my project head is r130. We found a bug, started in r111. I want to do this:
I want to fix r111, check in as r131. I also want to fix r130, checking as r132, the new head.
How to do that?

> Please don't criticize me on why not just fix r130 to become r131, the new head. Please
just help on how to achieve what I want.

That's not how Subversion works. A revision number is just an identifier for a change made
at a point in time in your repository. You can't change history. All you can do is create
new history.

What you're asking for is like saying a week ago you bought a sofa, and now you've realized
you don't like the sofa and want to make it so that you never bought it. You can't do that;
you *did* buy it. All you can do now is see if you can return the sofa for a refund, or maybe
you can sell it to someone else. But nothing will change the fact that you *did* buy the sofa
and *did* have it for a week.

So what you do now is: whatever mistake was made in r111, check out a working copy of the
affected part of the repository, fix the mistake, and commit it.