subversion-users mailing list archives

From Philip Martin <>
Subject Re: Possible bug: Bad record MAC
Date Tue, 05 Mar 2013 13:09:19 GMT
Paolo Cavallini <> writes:

> I'm consistently getting this error when svn up or ci:
>  Could not read status line: SSL alert received: Bad record MAC
> Unsure whether it's an svn problem, or a network one. I've checked
> with my server hosting, and thay say it's software, but I cannot find
> a reference to it.  Any hint on how to debug this would be
> appreciated.

You don't say which client/OS you are using or which http library the
Subversion client is using.  Does it happens every time you contact the
server or does it happen once an update/checkout has started?

This is a low level error from the SSL/HTTP libraries used by
Subversion.  It's a standard SSL error that indicates that consistency
checks on the SSL data in the SSL library have failed.  The root cause
could be network hardware, a firewall, a proxy, an incompatibility
between the SSL implementation on the client and server, etc.
Here is one example: