subversion-users mailing list archives

From Johan Corveleyn <jcor...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Cleanup needed after failed update
Date Tue, 12 Jun 2012 10:26:34 GMT
On Wed, Jun 6, 2012 at 1:14 PM, Justin Case
<send_lotsa_spam_here@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
> this is something new for me (TortoiseSVN 1.7.7 with Subversion 1.7.5 on Windows XP):
> - I try to update something when a file is in use,
> - update understandably fails, it cannot overwrite that file. Fine.

This is indeed normal, I think.

> - BUT I cannot update again, I have to cleanup first!

This seems normal too. Before doing anything, 'svn update' will lock
the working copy (to prevent any concurrent svn actions from messing
with it while it's updating). If 'svn update' fails midway through,
the locks will be left. These need to be removed by running 'svn
cleanup' (cleanup is the only command that will unconditionally remove
these locks, so you should only run it if you're sure there is no
other command running concurrently, and those locks are "stale locks"
left by other interrupted commands).

> Before days (months?) the cleanup wasn't requested. Is that locked file such a big fuss
that it corrupts everything?

I don't follow. You mean that svn 1.6 didn't request cleanup? What is
the exact set of commands, and the exact error messages you're
getting?

--
Johan