subversion-users mailing list archives

From Stephen Butler <sbut...@elego.de>
Subject Re: missing sha-1 after svndumptool
Date Fri, 15 Jun 2012 10:18:11 GMT

On Jun 15, 2012, at 9:18 , russellh wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> We have used svndumptool to change all the externals in our Subversion repositories during
a migration due to a change from http to https on our system.

> We noticed that the new file created by svndumptool is missing all the sha-1 lines (md5s
still in there) that were in the old file however everything seems to work OK on testing.

> Is this an issue or is this something we can ignore?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Russell

Subversion's 'svnadmin load' command checks file content against MD5
checksums.  For backward compatibility, neither MD5 nor SHA1 is required.

The 'svnadmin dump' command will write SHA1 checksums, but 'svnadmin
load' ignores them when parsing a dump file.  For historical reasons,
svndumpfilter reuses the svnadmin dump-parsing code, so it drops SHA1s
too.

Note that svndumptool is an independent project.  I see in their TODO.txt
"Add support for sha1?".  They're probably waiting for Subversion to start
using the SHA1s.

So there's no short-term issue for you to worry about, but I suppose it's about
time we (Subversion) stopped dropping SHA1s when parsing dump files.  As
it happens, I'm changing the dump parsing code right now, so I'll add that to
my list.

Steve

--
Stephen Butler