subversion-users mailing list archives

From Elmar Grom <eg...@lightandmotion.com>
Subject svnversion feature
Date Thu, 07 Jun 2012 16:27:27 GMT
Hi,

I am in the process of putting together make files for firmware builds and run into an issue
that I didn't see addressed in any of the issues lists. One of the things I want to do is
to tag the SVN revision that a binary was built from onto the file name (this was actually
requested by manufacturing and I agree with their view point). The revision is easy enough
to get from svnversion. The problem is, that when I run it  in my working directory, inevitably
I get a mixed revision result, even if I have just committed (something like 3:26). While
this may be informative to me as a developer, this is not something I can embed in a file
name. At the same time Make has no ability to extract just the part after the colon.

I see three solutions to this problem:

  1.  create another directory and do a clean checkout of the version I just committed. I
tried this and it works well. Cumbersome though.
  2.  implement an external tool that runs svnversion and then disassembles the result to
get the correct number for use in a file name. Ugly, too many tools needed already to get
every day work done.
  3.  implement an option in svnversion that makes it to only spit out the highest revision
number (no colon). Alternatively, the colon could be replaced by any character the user likes.
That way something compatible with the file system can be chosen. I guess what I meant to
say is, it would be nice to have control over the format in which svnversion reports the version.

Thanks for taking the time to read and form an opinion about this.

Elmar