subversion-users mailing list archives

From Justin Case <send_lotsa_spam_h...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Cleanup needed after failed update
Date Tue, 12 Jun 2012 13:43:52 GMT
> From: Ulrich Eckhardt <ulrich.eckhardt@dominolaser.com>
>
> Only you (the user) knows "if it was interrupted" or is maybe still
> running! I would say that this message could be improved[0], but

I beg to differ: the operation which interrupted itself because it found a file in use knows
very well that it was interrupted. So, it would be in the best position to do something instead
of just quitting graciously. You later suggestion "leave the working copy in a state of mixed
revisions" is exactly what I as user would expect from it: "hey, error! I couldn't finish
my job bcoz file X is in use, just close the other app then try updating again".
And I could swear it was like this before, I never had to cleanup even though I always forgot
DLLs in use... I just can't test it because the only machine with a 1.6 SVN I have is a server
and doesn't have Word (and will never have) - any idea how to mark a file "in use" on Windows
Server 2003? Notepad/Wordpad doesn't cut it.

Thanks a lot,
JC