subversion-users mailing list archives

From Les Mikesell <lesmikes...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Best approach to break up a repository
Date Fri, 02 Mar 2012 18:56:28 GMT
On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 9:40 PM, Ryan Schmidt
<subversion-2012a@ryandesign.com> wrote:

>> I'd like to break each of those projects into separate repositories.  Given the
number of designers we have, it's a bit unreasonable to expect everyone to recreate every
workspace so I'd like to keep all URLs the same.

> There's no choice; when you split the big repository into smaller repositories, each
repository must be given its own UUID (Universally Unique IDentifier), different from the
big repository's UUID. A working copy is matched to a particular repository by UUID. Once
you have new repositories, you must check out new working copies. No exceptions.

You could pick one of the projects to keep in the existing repository
and simply delete the other one in the HEAD view.  Then only the
workspaces for the other project would have be checked out again.  But
I didn't understand the comments about replicating/moving etc.  What
is the real issue here?  Are there groups that work on one of the
projects without good network access?

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell@gmail.com