subversion-users mailing list archives

From Stefan Sperling <s...@elego.de>
Subject Re: Merging a vendor branch that's also in subversion
Date Fri, 02 Mar 2012 19:25:36 GMT
On Fri, Mar 02, 2012 at 02:01:58PM -0500, Steve Lustbader wrote:
> My subversion-based project is based on a third-party project that is also
> stored in subversion, although on a separate server (to which we only have
> client access). We will soon need to merge the recent changes from the
> third-party project back into our own codebase. I am preparing to do a
> merge using the "vendor branch" technique from the svn book, but I was
> hoping that since both projects are stored in subversion, there might be a
> simpler way - are there any other options?

Another option might be a foreign repository merge.
Quoting from near the bottom of 'svn help merge' output:

    - Merging from foreign repositories -

  Subversion does support merging from foreign repositories.
  While all merge source URLs must point to the same repository, the merge
  target working copy may come from a different repository than the source.
  However, there are some caveats. Most notably, copies made in the
  merge source will be transformed into plain additions in the merge
  target. Also, merge-tracking is not supported for merges from foreign
  repositories.