subversion-users mailing list archives

From Giulio Troccoli <giulio.trocc...@mediatelgroup.co.uk>
Subject Re: Strange behavior on directory delete/commit
Date Tue, 02 Aug 2011 12:11:55 GMT

On 02/08/11 07:40, Dominik Psenner wrote:
> Hi,
>
> having a fresh subversion repository doing this as preparation:
>
> $ mkdir foo/
> $ svn add foo
> $ svn commit -m "test"
> Adding	foo
> Revision X sent.
> $ rmdir foo
> $ svn st
> !	foo
> $ svn delete foo
> D	foo
>
> And finally this command fails:
>
> $ svn commit foo -m "fail"
> svn: entry "foo" has no URL
>
> This instead does work:
>
> $ svn commit -m "works"
> Delete	foo
> Revision X sent.
>
> svn commit behaves inconsistently depending on whether a PATH argument is
> given or not. If it is a bug, it should get at least priority P2 because one
> is unable to commit partial changes to the WC as in this scenario:
>
> $ mkdir foo/
> $ svn add foo
> A	foo
> $ svn commit -m "test"
> Adding	foo
> Revision X sent.
> $ rmdir foo
> $ svn st
> !	foo
> $ svn delete foo
> D	foo
> $ touch bar
> $ touch foobar
> $ svn add bar foobar
> A	bar
> A	foobar
> $ svn commit foo bar
> svn: entry "foo" has no URL
>
> To get things done, one would have to backup foobar somewhere, revert
> foobar, do the commit without PATH arguments and copy foobar over to the WC.
> *eek*
>
> Let me know what you think about this!
>
> Greetings,
> D.

I think SVN is behaving correctly. When you do svn commit foo you're
telling Subversion to commit changes made in foo. There are no changes
in foo because it's been deleted. The changes, instead, are in its
parent directory, the one from where you issued your commands. That's
why svn commi works, it assumes . as the path.