subversion-users mailing list archives

From Ryan Schmidt <subversion-20...@ryandesign.com>
Subject Re: dav_svn enabled for one hostname only?
Date Thu, 10 Mar 2011 01:08:05 GMT

On Mar 9, 2011, at 03:07, Oliver Marshall wrote:

> Is it possible to enable the dav_svn module for one hostname only?

Modules are *loaded* globally for an Apache instance, but the directives to actually make
use of a module can be limited by any number of means, including hostname, as discussed further
below.

> We have a development box which was just being used for SVN. Then Trac got added, then
it started being used for hosting demo sites, then ….. etc.

> We now have about 10 various hostnames on there and we have found if you add /svn on
to any of them you can access the SVN module. This isn’t a massive issue as it’s password
protected but only the SVN site itself (dev.mydomain.com) is SSL enabled.

This is a matter of where you use your "DAV svn" statement (the statement that says "I want
mod_dav_svn to start taking effect here"), and yes, that should absolutely be restricted to
only the area you want it to be used in, for example a particular hostname. You probably have
"DAV svn" and all the other directives relating to serving your repository(ies) sitting naked
in the main part of your Apache httpd.conf file:

<Location /svn/>
	DAV svn
</Location>

And you should move them into a VirtualHost directive specific to the hostname you want them
to be used in, e.g.:

<VirtualHost *:80>
	ServerName dev.example.com
	<Location /svn/>
		DAV svn
	</Location>
</VirtualHost>

You may already have a VirtualHost directive for this hostname; in that case, don't add a
second one, but merge these directives into the existing one.