subversion-users mailing list archives

From Bob Archer <>
Subject RE: question about *.merge-right.r*
Date Thu, 02 Dec 2010 14:38:22 GMT
> I have a branch of trunk that I'm doing some work it. Someone
> committed changes to ^/trunk that I wanted, so I ran "svn merge
> ^/trunk" in a wc of my branch.
> One of the files had a conflict, and I postponed resolution. I
> opened
> the myfile.merge-left.r* and found the old version of the file. I
> opened myfile.working and found what is currently in my branch.
> But when I opened myfile.merge-right.r*, the contents didn't match
> any
> version of the file I can find. None of the myfile.* files match
> what
> is in ^/trunk. I thought the myfile.merge-right.* file was supposed
> be a copy of the file from ^/trunk.
> Can someone help me understand this? What gets put in the merge-
> right file?

I expect it is your BASE version. Here is the info from the book:

For every conflicted file, Subversion places three extra unversioned files in your working

This is your file as it existed in your working copy before you updated your working copy—that
is, without conflict markers. This file has only your latest changes in it. (If Subversion
considers the file to be unmergeable, the .mine file isn't created, since it would be identical
to the working file.)

This is the file that was the BASE revision before you updated your working copy. That is,
the file that you checked out before you made your latest edits.

This is the file that your Subversion client just received from the server when you updated
your working copy. This file corresponds to the HEAD revision of the repository.

Here OLDREV is the revision number of the file in your .svn directory, and NEWREV is the revision
number of the repository HEAD.

View raw message