subversion-users mailing list archives

From Steve Cohen <sco...@javactivity.org>
Subject Re: pattern for specifying svn:ignore for files without extension
Date Wed, 01 Dec 2010 23:40:12 GMT
On 12/01/2010 03:33 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
> On Dec 1, 2010, at 15:19, Steve Cohen wrote:
>
>> It seems to me that
>> 	svn --recursive propset svn:ignore xyz
>>
>> is basically just syntactic sugar for manually going through issuing
>> 	svn propset svn:ignore xyz
>>
>> on every node of the directory structure,  It is syntactic sugar in the sense that
the end product in either case would be the same.  There is no "recursive" data attribute
in a project's svn:ignore tree.

> Yes, that's right.
>

>> Which leads me to think that a one-time shell script or python script or whatever
might be written to walk the directory tree, look for all the executable files and manually
add them to that directory's svn:ignore list.

> That should work.
>
> The other approach that initially occurred to me was to clean the directory so there
are no unversioned files ("make clean" perhaps), then build the software ("make"), then copy
the output of "svn status" into an editor and massage it a bit to turn it into something you
can hand to "svn propset svn:ignore --file". Though this would have to be done on a per-directory
basis, so if there are many directories involved this may be impractical and a script as you
suggest may do better.

Thanks for confirming, this should work, but one more question.
I've already got some other files in svn:ignore in each directory.
There is no command to append a name to the svn:ignore property.  So my
script would have to call
	svn propget svn:ignore
and then
	svn propset svn:ignore