subversion-dev mailing list archives

From Julian Foad <julianf...@apache.org>
Subject Re: officially retire 1.9?
Date Mon, 12 Aug 2019 14:40:50 GMT
Branko ─îibej wrote:
> On 05.08.2019 20:27, Stefan Sperling wrote:
>> Subversion 1.9.0 is 4 years old today (release on August 5 2015).
>> http://subversion.apache.org/roadmap.html#release-planning says that
>> each LTS release is supported for 4 years.
>>
>> Julian said on IRC that perhaps we decided to support 2 LTS releases
>> for either 4 years or until another LTS release appears.
>> Which means 1.9 would still be supported until 1.14 is released.

We documented "If a release takes longer than planned, we will extend
the support periods of the previous releases accordingly." [1] I
intended this to mean we would continue to apply the spirit of our
historical support for "the current and the previous" releases for the
newly designated "LTS" releases.

I acknowledge that's not totally clear, and all our decisions can be
reviewed.

>> But do we really want to continue supporting 1.9?
>
> You probably noticed that this question arose on users@. I promised
> we'll announce what we decide.
>
> For the record, I agree we can stop supporting 1.9.

I'm not sure we should.

Let's take a moment to remind other readers that "unsupported" means we
don't expect or intend to make another release; it does not mean there
is absolutely no possibility of a further release if there should be
sufficient justification for the effort required.

Conversely, we can "softly" reduce support for it: we are not obliged to
backport any particular fixes or make any particular number of releases.

I will say that in recently releasing 1.12.2, 1.10.6, and 1.9.12, the
amount of work I had to do for three release lines compared to two was
much less than proportional.

So I vote for softly reducing the support effort while leaving it
documented as "supported".

- Julian

[1] http://subversion.apache.org/roadmap.html#release-planning