subversion-dev mailing list archives

From Branko ─îibej <br...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Crazy idea: changes in WC should share an API with changes in repository
Date Fri, 09 Nov 2018 11:31:42 GMT
On 09.11.2018 11:56, Julian Foad wrote:
> Is this such a crazy idea?

Not at all. The WC-NG with its multiple op-depths behaves like a
limited-history repository. Your picture does lack the op-depth part,
though; there are N layers between BASE and WORKING, unlike in the
filesystem, where we always work against a single (base) revision.
(Well, almost always ... the update report is more complex.)

Also note that the working copy may have switched subtrees, or
individual files, which IIRC are represented in the BASE, so that would
make WC replay somewhat different from repository replay.

> I am starting with this streamy I/O layer because I can use it to improve shelving.
>
> The "WC replay delta" is simple and about ready to commit. Implementation of the "WC
delta editor" is in progress. I will now look into designing the streamy WC metadata APIs.

I understand these APIs could be reused for both shelving and
driving/being driven by the RA layer. Could any of them be used by
libsvn_client for local working copy modifications? Also is this "just"
an additional layer in svn_wc.h, or do you expect to deprecate swathes
of the remaining public WC APIs as a result?

-- Brane