subversion-dev mailing list archives

From Branko ─îibej <br...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Issue SVN-4767: svnadmin dump shouldn't canonicalize svn:date
Date Tue, 31 Jul 2018 13:36:43 GMT
On 31.07.2018 15:14, Julian Foad wrote:
> Before r871212 there was no validation of svn:date value entering the repo, I think,
so old-format dates could have been put in.

Right. That's the edge-case I was thinking about.

> But if anyone put old-format dates into their repo, and even if users do currently have
some tools that expect the conversion to happen, I still don't see that as a good enough reason
why future 'svnadmin dump' should not read out exactly what's in there.

> It also happens to be a data bug that's extremely easy to fix -- just enable revprop
changes and script the propedits.

>>  2. Our dumpfile format is documented. With your proposed change, there
>>     is a slight chance that "svnadmin dump" could produce invalid dump
>>     files.
> Invalid how? I don't see the contents of svn:date documented in 'notes/dump-load-format.txt'.

Ha, indeed, that document doesn't say anything concrete about the values
of reserved properties.

Anyway, I was just trying to pedantically think my way through the
possible edge cases. In retrospect, it's a pity we didn't make the
0.14->1.0 dump/load cycle work the way you're proposing now.

Also, you make a good point about scripting the fix before the dump;
these are revision properties, after all.

You've changed my mind: +1

-- Brane