subversion-dev mailing list archives

From Branko Čibej <br...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Bad error message when the URL doesn't point to a repository
Date Sat, 10 Feb 2018 03:29:32 GMT
On 09.02.2018 17:45, Julian Foad wrote:
> Daniel Shahaf wrote:
>> Branko Čibej wrote on Tue, 06 Feb 2018 22:10 +0100:
>>> The error message now looks like this:
>>>
>>> $ svn ls http://svn.apache.org/foo
>>> svn: E170013: Unable to connect to a repository at URL
>>> 'http://svn.apache.org/foo'
>>> svn: E175003: The server does not support the HTTP/DAV protocol
>>>
>>> Ideas for better wording wold be most welcome.
>
> That's not accurate: the server may support it but not at that URL.
> How about,
>
> "There is no Subversion repository (or WebDAV service) at that URL."

The code I currently have in my working copy can tell the difference
between HTTP only, DAV only and Subversion servers. I'm just not sure
that it makes any sense to tell users about the difference.

>> Add some hints?  E.g.,
>>
>> "If you are the server admin, make sure you have the 'SVNPath' (or
>> 'SVNParentPath') and 'DAV svn' directives in the <Location> block"
>
> I'm not too keen on the user seeing such a message. Most usage occurs
> against already tested servers, so it's likely they just mistyped a
> URL or copy-pasted an inappropriate URL.

Agreed ... user usually can't do anything about it anyway, and admins
will (presumably) know why the server configuration is wrong.

-- Brane