subversion-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Troy Curtis Jr <troycurti...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: mailer.py commit says TypeError: must be unicode, not str
Date Fri, 02 Feb 2018 05:40:16 GMT
On Thu, Feb 1, 2018, 12:34 PM Kenneth Porter <shiva@sewingwitch.com> wrote:

> [moving discussion to dev list as I think this is now the correct fix.]
>
> --On Wednesday, January 31, 2018 7:40 PM -0800 Kenneth Porter
> <shiva@sewingwitch.com> wrote:
>
> > --On Wednesday, January 31, 2018 7:23 PM -0800 Kenneth Porter
> > <shiva@sewingwitch.com> wrote:
> >
> >>     fp = builtins.open(file, 'w+') # avoid namespace clash with
> >>                                    # trimmed-down svn_fs_open()
> >
> > I'm now thinking the problem is in the open call, and that I'm somehow
> > getting a Python 3 open function even though I've got Python 2.7
> > installed. Should the mode be 'wb' instead of 'w+'? That would insure
> > that the raw data from the Subversion object is getting dumped into the
> > temporary fle without interpretation. I don't understand why update
> > (denoted by the plus) is wanted. The temp file isn't being read from.
>
>
>
That seems strange, for py3 sure, but certainly odd on py2. Perhaps your
locale is set to utf8? I'll have to research to see if that even makes
sense.

Proposed edit to fs.py: Change 'w+' to 'wb' when copying svn stream object
> to temporary file. Update isn't needed, and the code just needs to dump the
> raw data into a file for the external diff to access, so no
> encoding/decoding should occur. Hence we should open the file in binary
> mode. I just tested this edit and it seems to cure the problem.
>
> It looks like this line is the same since it was originally added in
> r843330 and hasn't changed in Troy's swig-py3 branch.
>

I've been leaning heavily on the test coverage for validating my py3
updates. At first glance it looks like this FileDiff isn't referenced in
any existing test. I'll add a test and confirm the behavior, and then test
with your fix, unless you'd like to do so.

Troy


> >From my initial report in the users list:
>
> <https://svn.haxx.se/users/archive-2018-01/0094.shtml>
> <https://svn.haxx.se/users/archive-2018-02/0000.shtml>
>
> I'm using mailer.py in my post-commit hook and it's throwing a Unicode type
> error during the diff phase. Digging through the source code, I figured out
> that it's happening during the creation of the two temporary files for
> diff'ing. Somehow the output file is getting opened in Unicode text mode
> but the input source (the Subversion object stream) is a raw byte stream.
> The write call fails.
>
> OS: CentOS 7.4
> subversion-python-1.7.14-11.el7_4.x86_64
> python-2.7.5-58.el7.x86_64
>
>
>

Mime
View raw message