subversion-dev mailing list archives

From Julian Foad <julianf...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Wiki migration to Confluence: test conversion ready for review
Date Fri, 23 Feb 2018 09:26:04 GMT
Johan Corveleyn wrote:
> As discussed in [1] I'm working on migrating our wiki from MoinMoin to
> Confluence.
>
> After ironing out most of the big issues, I think the current "test
> conversion" is ready for review by a larger audience. I'd like to
> perform the final migration next Tuesday the 27th, after 21h (GMT+1),

Excellent news!

>      https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/SVNTEST
>      https://wiki.apache.org/subversion

 From a little look around, I found these:

(Meta) In Confluence I could not find a way to view the source. No
"edit" option is not shown for me. The "View Source" option isn't
working: instead of showing source, it shows an alternative rendered view.

MoinMoin "{{{#!wiki comment" blocks were hidden from view in MoinMion
and are rendered as visible "note" blocks in Confluence. e.g. there is
one right at the end of this page:
   https://wiki.apache.org/subversion/SymmetricMerge
(I couldn't find a way to search for them in either system. I don't know
if we mind them being visible. I don't mind the two on this page being
visible.)

Paragraph joining (line re-wrapping) is not working: source line breaks
are being rendered as output line breaks in Confluence. Particularly
noticeable in e.g.
   https://wiki.apache.org/subversion/MergeLimits
because the source lines are short.

Superscript: e.g. "10^th^ to 14^th^ June" in the first line of
https://wiki.apache.org/subversion/Berlin2013
(Could be fixed afterwards.)

(I have just corrected the superscript mark-up in
   https://wiki.apache.org/subversion/Aachen2017
It was "23^^rd^^", now "23^rd^". I was able to check using search query
"\^\^" and that was the only page with such an error.)

> - We have one page which redirects to another page: SvnMergeTheory ->
> SymmetricMerge. We could also simply omit SvnMergeTheory from the
> conversion, and redirect the old SvnMergeTheory page on MoinMoin
> directly to SymmetricMerge on cwiki (to avoid breaking existing
> links). Should we do that?

I think the best thing is to prioritize making the old site's
redirection logic as simple as possible. Probably that is to have a
"SvnMergeTheory" page of some sort on Confluence (a redirection within
Confluence if possible, or whatever works), and so the old site can just
redirect <base_url><page_name> to <confluence_url><page_name> for
all
page URLs, whether they are redirection pages or not.

Then any future updates to the Wiki can be handled purely in Confluence,
no matter what kind of page is involved.

> - Escapes for a literal [, ], {, }, -- etc. should not be done in
> {noformat} blocks. Will fix.

Also long runs of dashes "-------" were reduced to just four dashes
"----" in e.g. https://wiki.apache.org/subversion/CallGraphOfMergeCode

I do not feel it is important to fix all of these issues in the
conversion. Nice of course, but not as important as getting it done.

One more thought: Having put in all this work, I wonder if most of what
you have achieved can be re-used. (Some was manual tweaking, I know.)
Several other Apache projects might be interested in using your updated
converter to do an equivalent migration.

Thanks for all this work!

- Julian