subversion-dev mailing list archives

From Julian Foad <julianf...@apache.org>
Subject 1.10 release notes: protocol changes, LZ4, etc.
Date Wed, 28 Feb 2018 17:25:08 GMT
I added a skeleton "protocol changes" section to the release notes:

   http://subversion.a.o.local/docs/release-notes/1.10.html#protocol-changes

Here is a starting point. Can anyone help fill in the details?

[[[
== LZ4 / svndiff2 on the wire ==

In both HTTP and svnserve protocols, LZ4 compression is now used (within
the new 'svndiff2' delta format?), subject to capability negotiation.
(For all data transfers, or did we not get around to implementing it in
one combination of protocol and direction?)

   Capability name: 'accepts-svndiff2'

== Recursive listing API ==

A new client-server protocol API named "list" has been introduced,
providing a more efficient way to fetch a recursive listing of versioned
files and directories, with wildcard search support.

   Capability name: 'list'

   svn_ra_list():

http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/subversion/tags/1.10.0-rc1/subversion/include/svn_ra.h?view=markup#l1150

   svnserve protocol "list" command:

http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/subversion/tags/1.10.0-rc1/subversion/libsvn_ra_svn/protocol?view=markup#l496

   HTTP protocol "list-report" command:
   ### should be documented in:

http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/subversion/tags/1.10.0-rc1/notes/http-and-webdav/webdav-protocol?view=markup#l22
   ### source code:

http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/subversion/tags/1.10.0-rc1/subversion/mod_dav_svn/reports/list.c?view=markup
]]]

Other notes:

[[[
'svnadmin upgrade' from FSFS format 7 to format 8 allows future commits
to use LZ4 compression but doesn't re-compress existing revisions into LZ4.
   ### (I assume this, as its help says it does "the minimum".)

As LZ4 compression provides a worse compression ratio than the previous
default compression, it is enabled over the wire only when the network
connection is detected to be ... (low latency?) ... as this suggests a
fast-throughput network.

As LZ4 compression provides a worse compression ratio than the previous
default compression, a FSFS format 8 repository using LZ4 compression
will grow larger on disk than format 7.
]]]

Thoughts? Help?

- Julian