subversion-dev mailing list archives

From Julian Foad <julianf...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Bad error message when the URL doesn't point to a repository
Date Fri, 09 Feb 2018 16:45:34 GMT
Daniel Shahaf wrote:
> Branko ─îibej wrote on Tue, 06 Feb 2018 22:10 +0100:
>> The error message now looks like this:
>>
>> $ svn ls http://svn.apache.org/foo
>> svn: E170013: Unable to connect to a repository at URL
>> 'http://svn.apache.org/foo'
>> svn: E175003: The server does not support the HTTP/DAV protocol
>>
>> Ideas for better wording wold be most welcome.

That's not accurate: the server may support it but not at that URL. How
about,

"There is no Subversion repository (or WebDAV service) at that URL."

> Add some hints?  E.g.,
>
> "If you are the server admin, make sure you have the 'SVNPath' (or
> 'SVNParentPath') and 'DAV svn' directives in the <Location> block"

I'm not too keen on the user seeing such a message. Most usage occurs
against already tested servers, so it's likely they just mistyped a URL
or copy-pasted an inappropriate URL.

- Julian