subversion-dev mailing list archives

From Julian Foad <julianf...@apache.org>
Subject APR's check for installed libtool is inconsistent
Date Mon, 26 Feb 2018 17:39:32 GMT
(CC'ing Subversion as Subversion's build system both uses and kind-of
duplicates this.)

APR's 'build/buildcheck.sh' says:
[[[
# Require libtool 1.4 or newer
libtool=`build/PrintPath glibtool1 glibtool libtool libtool15 libtool14`
]]]

and fails if it doesn't find a 'libtool' binary at version >= 1.4;

but 'buildconf' says:
[[[
build/buildcheck.sh $verbose || exit 1

libtoolize=`build/PrintPath glibtoolize1 glibtoolize libtoolize15
libtoolize14 libtoolize`
]]]

Different tool name, different order of checking for versions of it.

This difference caused a problem on my Ubuntu 16.04 system, where only
the main 'libtool' package was installed which provides only a
'libtoolize' binary, and the optional 'libtool-bin' package which adds a
'libtool' binary was not installed. I was able to install the latter to
work around this issue.

Looks like it should be changed to be consistent. What do you think?

- Julian