subversion-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Shahaf <danie...@apache.org>
Subject Re: 1.10 tasks: update CHANGES and roll RC1 or beta1
Date Sat, 23 Dec 2017 00:08:28 GMT
Julian Foad wrote on Fri, 22 Dec 2017 15:08 +0000:
> * Does the CHANGES file need to be updated before we can roll RC1?
>
> In my opinion this is a "documentation change" and we can release an RC1
> with incomplete CHANGES for the first 3 weeks of soak period, and
> release RC2 with completed CHANGES (whether any other changes are needed
> or not) for the last week of soak period.

I'm not sure I agree.  Allow me to play devil's advocate here and we'll see
where it leads.

If CHANGES is not uptodate, then consumers of rc1 can't test any bugfixes that
aren't documented, which devalues the soak.  Thus, updating CHANGES isn't a
technical requirement; it's a substantive requirement.  The rule that doc
changes don't reset the soak would have applied to, say, spelling corrections
to CHANGES, but adding five months' worth of history to CHANGES _would_
warrant a reset of the soak, despite being a docs patch.  To paraphrase
sussman, there's more to cutting releases than throwing tarballs over a wall. :-)

Makes sense?  I'm not sure I *entirely* agree with the last paragraph, but
perhaps the truth lies in the middle somewhere.

Cheers,

Daniel