subversion-dev mailing list archives

From Julian Foad <julianf...@apache.org>
Subject Subversion 1.10 RC1?
Date Wed, 22 Nov 2017 10:53:11 GMT
At the hackathon today we (me, Stefan Hett, Bert, Johan) have been
talking about how to progress 1.10.

We think all the features and changes are safe to release and are not
going to get more testing until we produce a "release candidate". (For
example, at that point Stefan will be able to justify taking time at his
work to test the client in production scenarios.)

   * conflict resolution: we understand it is already much better than
1.9; low risk if parts of it don't work quite right; designed so that
improvements can be made in patch releases.

   * LZ4 compression: in some senses the risk of bugs here is higher,
but it seems like it is high quality already; is there one remaining
place where we should add LZ4 negotiation (one direction of svnserve
protocol)?

   * shelving v1: is isolated -- doesn't affect anything else; is
limited but already useful; will be changed in the next release so APIs
are marked "SVN_EXPERIMENTAL"; changes shelved by this release could be
detected and 'upgraded' by a future release; should the CLI commands be
marked "experimental" in the help, too (Johan thinks yes)?

After any issues raised in this discussion are resolved, we feel we
should go ahead and produce RC1 as soon as possible.

- Julian (& Stefan, Bert, Johan)