subversion-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Sperling <s...@elego.de>
Subject stricter text conflicts in 1.10
Date Tue, 09 May 2017 10:14:20 GMT
I have seen several instances of proposals in our STATUS file where I
cannot merge without text conflicts because I am using a trunk client.

I suppose most of us use 1.9.x clients to do such merges, because
otherwise there would be a lot more backport branches in STATUS when
nominations get added, and before I run into such a conflict.

This is probably due to the stricter text conflict checks added in r1731699.
If so, are we really sure that we want to make the new behaviour the default?
I can imagine that in organizations with a diverse SVN client install base
this change will cause a lot of misunderstandings and confusion among users.

And with the conflict resolver we are trying to make tree conflicts less
painful. Now, at the same time text conflicts have become a lot more painful
than they used to be. I don't think this is going to be a good sell.