subversion-dev mailing list archives

From Julian Foad <julianf...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Glob syntax for svndumpfilter exclude --pattern
Date Mon, 20 Feb 2017 16:17:40 GMT
Branko ─îibej wrote:
> On 20.02.2017 11:23, Julian Foad wrote:
>> (I noticed a suboptimal edge case: the above example doesn't match the
>> path '/alpha', because the implementation adds a leading slash to the
>> specified pattern, making '/*/alpha', and then insists on matching
>> both slashes literally.)
>
> This is a bug.

Actually, adding the leading slash is not really relevant. The more
general case is that pattern "/trunk/*/README" won't match path
"/trunk/README", as a consequence of not treating slash as special in
paths. A user might well expect it to match, knowing that the pattern
"/trunk//README" *will* match due to our canonicalizing the input
patterns before matching. So there is an inconsistency there.

That may not have been intended, but I don't propose we change it now,
because I can't think of any simple change that would be an improvement.

> Everything else is as expected.

Thanks.

- Julian