subversion-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Fuhrmann <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: #4667, Merge uses large amount of memory
Date Sun, 08 Jan 2017 16:59:36 GMT
On 04.01.2017 16:02, Julian Foad wrote:
> Stefan Fuhrmann wrote:
>> Julian Foad wrote:
>>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SVN-4667
> [...]
>>>
>>> The branches involved have subtree mergeinfo on over 3500 files, each referring
>>> to about 350 branches on average, and just over 1 revision range on average per
>>> mergeinfo line. Average path length is under 100 bytes.
>>
>> What is the result of 'svn pg "svn:mergeinfo" -R | wc -c'?
>
> 120 MB.

So, that should be about 250..300 MB in memory.
If it is much more, then there is an inefficiency
(either a pool usage issue or catalogs being copied).
>> More importantly, the in-memory data model would need to be something
>> delta-like.  That sounds like a lot of code-churn.
>
> Sure, not trivial!

I looked at the code and it seems that "only"
svn_mergeinfo_catalog_t needs to be replaced with a
proper ADT (svn_mergeinfo_compact_catalog_t?) and
only in the client.  It is not used too extensively.

-- Stefan^2.