subversion-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Hett <ste...@egosoft.com>
Subject Re: ABI changes analysis
Date Mon, 27 Jun 2016 12:21:08 GMT
On 6/27/2016 1:57 PM, Greg Stein wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 27, 2016 at 6:54 AM, Greg Stein <gstein@gmail.com
> <mailto:gstein@gmail.com>> wrote:
>

>     On Sun, Jun 26, 2016 at 7:49 PM, Stefan <luke1410@posteo.de
>     <mailto:luke1410@posteo.de>> wrote:
>     >...
>
>         And now I also remember and realize that these removed symbols
>         were
>         actually private ones never intended to be exported (aka:
>         double _ in
>         the name).
>

> To be clear: they WERE intended to be exported, so other svn libraries
> could use them. We have hundreds of such functions.

Yeah I must have misremembered something here. I also didn't want to
suggest that this would violate the ABI compatibility (as you state they
were private symbols and therefore not covered by the ABI guarantee). I
just misremembered the reasoning why they were added and then removed
(guess I just remember some discussion related to the clean up of
symbols prior to the 1.7 or 1.8 release which is completely independent
from these symbols).

--
Regards,
Stefan Hett