subversion-dev mailing list archives

From Philip Martin <philip.mar...@wandisco.com>
Subject Re: Unversioned files with invalid UTF-8 sequence in name confuse svn
Date Tue, 01 Mar 2016 09:33:25 GMT
Stefan Sperling <stsp@elego.de> writes:

> I agree this is a problem. 'svn cleanup --remove-unversioned' should
> remove such files, but it won't in the current implementation.

Subversion works in non-UTF8 locales.  If one normally uses Subversion
in a non-UTF8 locale then non-UTF8 paths on disk can represent versioned
files.  If one were to accidentally invoke Subversion with a UTF8 locale
any such files would trigger the invalid UTF8 problem.  When the client
encounters this problem there are two interpretations: the file could be
unversioned or the user could be using the wrong locale.  If we choose
to treat such files as unversioned then we would be deleting what might
be a versioned file with modifications.

--
Philip Martin
WANdisco