subversion-dev mailing list archives

From Evgeny Kotkov <evgeny.kot...@visualsvn.com>
Subject Re: No-op changes no longer dumped by 'svnadmin dump' in 1.9
Date Thu, 08 Oct 2015 11:07:11 GMT
Stefan Fuhrmann <stefan.fuhrmann@wandisco.com> writes:

> This is not about performance, it is about API guarantees and functional
> stability. So, yes that is an optimization in the sense of "making it better
> than before". And no, we should not go back to worse unless there is no other
> practical way.

Exactly how does this change make the situation better in practice?  In other
words, what particular use cases is it supposed to fix?

I see it as an abstract change that alters the behavior of many different
calling sites.  Given that the practical benefits are unknown, I think that
we should restore the known stable behavior, and avoid problems coming
from various places.

Regards,
Evgeny Kotkov