subversion-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan <luke1...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: Announcing MaxSVN
Date Sun, 13 Sep 2015 21:52:29 GMT
Hi Ivan,
> On 7 September 2015 at 18:47, Stefan <luke1410@gmx.de> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm pleased to announce the availability of a new distribution of SVN
>> called: "MaxSVN".
>> In contrast to other SVN distributions this one is a bit different since it
>> aims towards being used primarily to support SVN development rather than
>> being used in production environments.
>>
>> Its primary purpose is to test and identify issues of SVN against the latest
>> build tools and dependencies on Windows.
>>
>> It can however also be useful in other situations like if you wanna check
>> whether a current development branch solved a particular issue or to check
>> out the new features in an upcoming SVN release before it becomes available
>> as part of a final release.
>>
>> Please note once more that I strongly suggest against using MaxSVN in your
>> daily productive use. Please stick with one of the already available Windows
>> distributions. A list of these can be found on the MaxSVN webpage:
>> http://www.luke1410.de/typo3/index.php?id=97
>>
>> Also understand that MaxSVN is a product distributed, maintained and created
>> by myself and is not directly associated with the Apache Subversion project.
>>
>> The latest current available builds are:
>> - 1.7.22.2 (current latest 1.7 released version)
>> - 1.8.14.2 (current latest 1.8 released version)
>> - 1.8.15.1 (current 1.8 preview version)
>> - 1.9.1.2 (current latest 1.9 released version)
>> - 1.9.2.1 (current 1.9 preview version)
>> - 1.10.0.2 (current 1.10 preview version)
>>
>> Feel free to send any feedback directly to me by mail or use the bugtracker
>> at http://www.luke1410.de:8090/browse/MAXSVN to add bugreports/feature
>> requests.
>>
> May I suggest to rename branch and trunk builds version to something
> like 1.9.x-dev-rXXXX and 1.10.x-dev-rXXX? Never replace 'x' with the
> current version patch version. I.e. '1.9.x-dev-r1701757'.
>
> Because versions like 1.9.2.1 may confuse users. It's very hard to
> find difference between 1.9.1.2 and 1.9.2.1 to distinguish official
> releases from development builds.
>
> Thanks!
I agree with u that the version numbering is not too clear and I also
tend to agree that adding the revision number to the version number
makes sense given the target audience of MaxSVN.

If I understand u right, then u are suggesting not to use SVN's patch
version in MaxSVN version numbering scheme. I thought having that
directly in the version number available would actually benefit users,
because they would directly see which SVN version a MaxSVN version is
based on.

I also think that Bert's suggestion to use the "dev" marker for versions
which are based on a not-yet released build is quite good and drop that
marker once a build is based on a released version.

What's ur opinion on using the following scheme instead:
1.9.x-y-rxxx-dev for versions not yet released
1.9.x-y-rxxx for versions based on SVN versions which are already released

x is the current minor version of the SVN version
y is a running number for MaxSVN builds
rxxx is the SVN revision a build is based on

So in case of the current 1.9 MaxSVN releases this is how with the other
scheme things would look like:
1.9.0.1 -> 1.9.0-1-r1692833
1.9.1.1 -> 1.9.1-1-r1694136-dev
1.9.1.2 -> 1.9.1-2-r1698174