subversion-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Branko Čibej <br...@wandisco.com>
Subject Re: Subversion 1.9.1 and SVNParentPath
Date Fri, 04 Sep 2015 10:07:28 GMT
On 04.09.2015 04:37, James McCoy wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 03, 2015 at 12:09:50PM +0300, Ivan Zhakov wrote:
>> On 3 September 2015 at 11:18, Branko Čibej <brane@wandisco.com> wrote:
>>> On 03.09.2015 09:42, Tony Butt wrote:
>>>> Problem: Cannot access svn repos using SVNParentPath and subversion
>>>> 1.9.1
>>>>
>>>> Environment:
>>>> Ubuntu 14.04, Apache 2.4.7, Subversion 1.9.1, mod_auth_kerb
>>>>
>>>> Apache config snippet:
>>>>
>>>> <Location /repos/>
>>>>
>>>>    DAV svn
>>>>    SVNParentPath /srv/svn/repos/
>>>>    SVNListParentPath on
>>>>
>>>>    SVNIndexXSLT "/svnindex.xsl"
>>>>
>>>> # Compression options
>>>>    AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE text/html text/plain text/xml
>>>>    SetInputFilter DEFLATE
>>>>
>>>> # Krb Authentication
>>>>    Include /etc/apache2/krb.conf
>>>>
>>>>    AuthDBMType default
>>>>    AuthDBMGroupFile /srv/www/groupsdb
>>>>    <RequireAll>
>>>>      Require group software hardware
>>>>      Require valid-user
>>>>    </RequireAll>
>>>>
>>>>    AuthZSVNAccessFile /srv/svn/access
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> </Location>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> I installed the subversion 1.9.0 RC a little while back on this machine,
>>>> all OK.
>>>> Installed subversion 1.9.0 release Monday, had to set
>>>> --enable-broken-httpd-auth
>>>> to build successfully. Went to the apache config and ensured that no
>>>> unauthenticated access was possible to the document root. All OK.
>>>>
>>>> I installed subversion 1.9.1 yesterday, built and installed OK.
>>>> On testing repos access, I can browse to http://hostname/repos/ ,
>>>> but any attempt to access http://hostname/repos/name1
>>>> fails, with this message at the browser.
>>>>
>>>> "Unauthorized This server could not verify that you are authorized to
>>>> access the document requested. Either you supplied the wrong credentials
>>>> (e.g., bad password), or your browser doesn't understand how to supply
>>>> the credentials required."
>>>>
>>>> Reverting to Subversion 1.8.13, or 1.9.0 resolves this.
>>>> Changing the configuration top not use SVNParentPath, by specifying
>>>> individual repositories with SVNPath resolves this too.
>>>> Some interaction between the svnauthz changes and SVNParentPath seems to
>>>> be broken
>>> When you upgraded Subversion, did you also restart httpd? (Using
>>> 'apachectl graceful' or 'apachectl restart' or reasonable equivalent.)
>>>
>> The only relevant change in Subversion 1.9.1 compared to 1.9.0 is 1698052 [1]:
> This isn't specific to 1.9.1.  It's a regression introduced by the CVE
> fixes in 1.9.0 (or possibly on the httpd side).  This was also reported
> in Debian[0] and I've worked with the reporter to try and get some,
> hopefully, useful information.
>
> [0]: https://bugs.debian.org/797216
>
> He's able to reproduce the issue with both 1.7 (neon) and 1.8 (serf)
> clients.  The initial scenario he encountered it with was a combination
> of mod_auth_kerb, httpd 2.4.10 (+ CVE-2015-3813 and CVE-2015-3815
> patches), and mod_authz_svn 1.8.10 (+ CVE-2015-3814 and CVE-2015-3817
> patches).  Subsequently, it was also confirmed as buggy httpd 2.4.16 and
> mod_authz_svn 1.9.0.
>
> Using the 1.7 client and neon-debug-mask=130, we see[1] that the problem
> is the response from the CVE-patched httpd/mod_authz_svn doesn't send
> back the WWW-Authenticate headers, which prevents the client from trying
> to authenticate when the anonymous command fails.
>
> [1]: https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=797216#25
>
> The last piece of information is that a small tweak to the authz file
> does allow “svn ls” work, but not “svn commit”:
>
>> Another thing I noticed: If I replace "* =" by "* = r" (which in my case
>> means "any valid user") as the last line in the SVN authz file, "svn ls"
>> works.  I can't commit, though.
> Hope I was able to get some useful information.  Feel free to follow up
> in the bug report, as Andreas seems to have easy access to testing
> server configurations and is responsive to requests for information.

Very useful information, indeed. The big question is now whether this is
caused by the changes in mod_authz_svn, or in httpd; I'll do some code
reviewing over the week-end to try to figure it out.

Thanks for the follow-up!

-- Brane

Mime
View raw message