subversion-dev mailing list archives

From Thomas Singer <thomas.sin...@syntevo.com>
Subject Re: JavaHL, 1.9: "Bad file descriptor", "Stream doesn't support thiscapability" errors
Date Tue, 25 Aug 2015 10:36:43 GMT
Is this bug already reported in the issue tracker? I've searched but
could not found. Should I report it?

--
Best regards,
Thomas Singer

On 20.08.2015 09:28, bert@qqmail.nl wrote:
> Hi Thomas,
>
> The Subversion version of the fix is nominated for 1.9.1
> [[
> + * r1696222, r1696225
> +   Implement polling on named pipes on Windows to resolve svn+ssh:// problems
> +   Justification:
> +     Without this patch operations like checkout just fail with an error.
> +     This is a regression as older Subversion releases ignored the error.
> +   Votes:
> ]]
>
> Apr just returns EBADF on any attempt to poll on a file or pipe on Windows. This workaround
on the Subversion side makes us support polling on pipes. (In Subversion < 1.8 we always
assumed that there was no data waiting, because we never bothered to check for an error)

> The apr version of the patch is harder than I expected, because the poll function supports
many flags of which we can really only implement one new variant, that can’t really be combined
with any other flags.

> We need one more vote on this, before we can start the release process on 1.9.1.
>
> I would hope we can also get r1696695 in the release, as that problem appears to break
Subversion for at least some Linux distributions.

> We might want to consider also fixing the polling in 1.8 (and 1.7?), as that would allow
exiting much earlier when a commit fails. Currently Subversion (when using svn+ssh:// on Windows)
just goes on trying to commit on Windows and only notices that svnserve returned an error
when done.

> Bert
>
> Sent from Mail for Windows 10

reverting to just ignoring errors.