subversion-dev mailing list archives

From Branko ─îibej <br...@wandisco.com>
Subject Re: Review of sizeof usage
Date Wed, 12 Aug 2015 08:07:49 GMT
On 12.08.2015 00:31, Daniel Shahaf wrote:

>>> We have had problems with both styles in the past, so neither is immune
>>> to bugs.  I prefer the explicit type as it is easier to grep.
>> The explicit type form is more accident-prone than the variable form
>> because any change requires two modifications in the same statement
>> instead of one.
> Why doesn't the compiler or buildbot catch accidents?

I can't imagine a way for the compiler to emit warnings for such
constructs without getting a far too large percentage of false
positives. It's perfectly valid, and in many cases required by some
object-like architecture, to allocate a buffer that has a different size
than the one implied by the pointer that stores the return value. This
is C, after all.

-- Brane