subversion-dev mailing list archives

From "Bert Huijben" <b...@qqmail.nl>
Subject RE: New 'svn cp --pin-externals' feature compat question.
Date Tue, 25 Aug 2015 15:30:58 GMT
                Hi,

The code actually detects if the definition is in the old or new format and uses the same
format to apply the pegging.

See ‘make_external_description’ which uses ‘svn_wc__external_description_format_1’
and ‘svn_wc__external_description_format_2’ to handle the different formats.

(In the pre 1.5 format the ‘-r’ is interpreted as a peg revision)

                Bert

From: C. Michael Pilato [mailto:cmpilato@collab.net]
Sent: dinsdag 25 augustus 2015 17:07
To: Subversion Development <dev@subversion.apache.org>
Subject: New 'svn cp --pin-externals' feature compat question.

I was reading up on the new 'svn cp --pin-externals' feature in the 1.9 release notes.  Great
addition, by the way, and one that I hope to use myself with ViewVC's release tags.

One question came to mind, though.  The use of the feature appears to result in pegged externals
definitions (as in, @-bearing URLs).  That's great and obviously the correct approach.  But
if I recall correctly, this means that use of the feature will cause the copy's externals
to be written in a way that older (pre-1.5) clients do not understand.

Is that correct?  If so, I think that's a fine limitation to have -- no complaints at all
here.  But perhaps this merits a mention in the Compatibility section of the release notes?

-- Mike