subversion-dev mailing list archives

From Jože Fabčič <Joze.Fab...@comtrade.com>
Subject bug? svn.exe propset svn:executable "*" affects too may files on Windows
Date Thu, 11 Jun 2015 13:26:09 GMT
Hi all,

I compiled a library (boost) and found out that few files are missing the svn:executable property.
I wanted to set the property and the command line client started to apply the property to
all the files in the current directory:

b:\boost\boost-1.44>svn propset svn:executable "*" bootstrap.sh
property 'svn:executable' set on 'boost-build.jam'
property 'svn:executable' set on 'boost.css'
property 'svn:executable' set on 'boost.png'
property 'svn:executable' set on 'bootstrap.bat'
property 'svn:executable' set on 'bootstrap.sh'
svn: E200009: Cannot set 'svn:executable' on a directory ('B:\boost\boost-1.44\doc')

The working copy was created with TortoiseSVN, probably 1.8.10 that linked SVN 1.8.11. I upgraded
to the latest TortoiseSVN 1.8.11 that links SVN 1.8.13 and received the same result. I installed
SVN 1.8.13 from https://www.visualsvn.com/downloads/ and received the same result.

On unix, the command works correctly. Using some other value of a property, as used for example
in SVN book works fine:

b:\boost\boost-1.44>svn propset svn:executable on bootstrap.sh

The asterisk "*" is returned as the value of property.

b:\boost\boost-1.44>svn propget svn:executable  bootstrap.sh
*

When searching google with "svn execute permission windows", the first result that I receive
is

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6874085/how-to-set-execute-attribute-to-a-file-and-check-it-in-svn-from-windows

and besides the correct procedure using TortoiseSVN it also presents the wrong command-line
invocation

svn propset svn:executable "*" someScript

It seems that the value of property is incorrectly used also for selecting the target:
b:\boost\boost-1.44>svn propset svexecutable "i*" bootstrap.sh
property 'svexecutable' set on 'index.html'
property 'svexecutable' set on 'INSTALL'
property 'svexecutable' set on 'bootstrap.sh'
b:\boost\boost-1.44>svn propset svexecutable b* bootstrap.sh
property 'svexecutable' set on 'boost-build.jam'
property 'svexecutable' set on 'boost.css'
property 'svexecutable' set on 'boost.png'
property 'svexecutable' set on 'bootstrap.bat'
property 'svexecutable' set on 'bootstrap.sh'
property 'svexecutable' set on 'bootstrap.sh'

Do you see the same behaviour also on your systems?

Thanks, Jože