subversion-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Fuhrmann <stefan.fuhrm...@wandisco.com>
Subject Re: 1.9.0-beta1 do we need it?
Date Wed, 25 Feb 2015 11:30:50 GMT
On Tue, Feb 24, 2015 at 6:55 PM, Ben Reser <ben@reser.org> wrote:

> I'm still working on the CHANGES file for 1.9, it's taking longer than I
> anticipated since it's been roughly 9 months since we last did a major
> update
> (and I forgot how long that one took me).
>
> The original thinking for a beta was to get something moving while we
> finished
> up a few things we knew we wanted in 1.9 (svn info --show-item, external
> pinning).  But I'm starting to think these things are close enough that
> given
> the time it's taking me to finish up CHANGES we may be ready for a rc1 as
> soon
> as those are done.

I think we should have a beta as soon as feasible instead of
waiting for a rc some time later and here is why:

* Keep momentum in the 1.9 release process.
* Enable / trigger people to get their 1.9.x build setup finalized

* Take off some of the pressure to complete & merge the
  two candidate feature branches.
* Don't rush the "admin" work either, e.g. API review.

* Concerning the extra effort, we will release 1.7.x, 1.8.x and
  1.9rc within a short window of time. Adding 1.9.0beta doesn't
  seem to make it much worse.

-- Stefan^2.