subversion-dev mailing list archives

From Julian Foad <julianf...@btopenworld.com>
Subject Re: [RFC] Drop non-sharded layout option for FSFSv7? [was: ...r1640915...]
Date Mon, 24 Nov 2014 15:32:51 GMT
Stefan Fuhrmann wrote:
[...]
> I'm in favour of phasing linear repos out. We still have to support
> them but forgetting to check for shard size 0 is more likely to
> happen for new code than existing code.I also tend to issuing
> a warning or even failure when trying to upgrade a linear repos. [...]

Can we feasibly convert an unsharded repo to sharded during an upgrade?

I think the current upgrade takes O(1) time, and sharding would take at least Order(N) time
(N = number of revs) to move each rev file into a shard directory, and possibly much higher
order if there are disk file systems that have slow 'move' performance (given that the original
directory might have a very large number of rev files in it), but it might be acceptable given
that in those cases the performance of adding new revs was probably degrading for the same
reason.

- Julian