subversion-dev mailing list archives

From Julian Foad <julianf...@btopenworld.com>
Subject Re: Suggestion
Date Wed, 09 Jul 2014 11:05:51 GMT
Hi David.

Thank you for writing in with your suggestion. It took me a while to really grasp the essence
of it, which I think is

    Sparse branching at the granularity of text hunks

where by "branching" I just mean tracking parallel streams of development in some way.

Thinking about configuration management paradigms rather than the mechanism, the
 branching paradigm where you have observed the need for a different way of working, and where
this probably makes the most sense, is what you describe as "different instances of an application
(say for different customers)", which sounds like what I know as "variants". Variant
 branching is a form of divergent branching, as is release branching, but with variant branching
you expect to maintain each of these streams in parallel with ongoing development, while keeping
the differences between them. The ongoing development may involve making a development branch
sometimes from the whole set of variants, or sometimes from just one variant. In other words,
variant branching can be orthogonal to development- and release branching: it's another dimension
on the branching graph.

Conditional compilation is one way to implement variants; full branches (as in Subversion)
are another way; and you are proposing something that combines aspects of both as being a
better way than either.

No matter what method is used to manage the variants, the overall
complexity of configuration
 management is basically the same. The complexity, that is, of managing
which bug fixes need to be applied to which configurations, how to share
 code between two similar configurations, tracking
 which configurations are in what state of development and testing, and
so on. If you have many variants, some of which are perhaps related to each other in sub-groups,
and if you have many feature branches and release branches, some of which perhaps branch the
whole set of variants and some of which apply only to some specific variants, then the management
is complex. That is its own level of complexity.

But let's look at what your suggestion *can* make simpler.

From a read-only point of view, what you propose is something like conditional compilation
(e.g. '#if' in C code), except you want the non-compiled text to be entirely omitted from
the working file. In that sense it is like branching. It is a form of "sparse" branching as
only certain files, and certain hunks of text within each file, are specific to the branch,
the rest being common to all branches (in this dimension of branching).

It seems to be this property -- sparse branching -- that could make the management simpler.

When you commit a change to the common code on one branch, that change
immediately affects all the other branches as well. Unlike with full branching, the change
is not gated through any separate process of merge/test/commit. That immediacy
 can be useful, but, when changing common code, often a developer is expected to test that

all variants will still build and perhaps pass some tests. It would be
useful to be able to generate all the variants without having to check
in a change and check it out again. Presumably some sort of "svn
variant-switch" function would be available to switch to another variant
 while keeping the local modifications in place -- at least if the local
 mods are in common code. If there are local mods in branch-specific code, this is harder,
requiring another layer of
temporary storage.

In comparison with
regular conditional compilation ('#if'), the difference here is that you do not get the code
that is specific to other variants. One consequence it that you can't make a set of builds,
one per variant, all from the current source code; in some settings that is a disadvantage.
Also the programmer can't so easily see how the change they are
making to common code may affect the other variants. I suppose the section markers would still
be present, so the programmer
 can see whether she is making changes inside or outside the
variant-specific sections. That's an improvement over regular branching.

The developer also has the option of getting a "complete" checkout, but then that is not buildable
so it's of limited use. But why not make this "complete" checkout be exactly defined by "#if"
(or similar) parseable mark-up so that it can used to build one or many variants? Start thinking
that way, and then the "single variant" checkout becomes more like a post-processing on the
conditional compilation.

You sound unhappy with the mechanism and/or interface that Visual Studio provides for managing
conditional compilation with '#if', describing it as "flaky". I don't really know what you
mean by that. Is there something inherently wrong with that model of conditional compilation?
What is the essence of the problem and what is needed for a better solution? Or is it just
a poor implementation? (One useful thing is if you can grey-out or hide the code for other
variants because it's not interesting most of the time. Some  source code editors or IDEs
will do that automatically for non-active #if clauses.)

What about editing and committing changes and merging fixes into multiple variants? How exactly
is this made easier?

Have you ever tried your idea in any form? You could perhaps prototype it using '#if'
 syntax and a wrapper script around 'svn', probably using a separate working copy to interface
between the one the user sees and the one Subversion sees.

Anyway, I'd be happy to hear your further thoughts.

Regards,

- Julian

>________________________________
> From: David Radcliffe
>

>When creating different instances of an application (say for different customers), the
three approaches taken might be:
>1.       Only one instance, with feature control enabled via parameters
>2.       Separate branches for each customer
>3.       Conditional Compilation of one source base
>
>All three approaches have been used by the author at various companies he has worked for,
>and experience has shown that all three have their own drawbacks:
>1.       If the differences between instances are significant, or there are a large
number of instances, this approach rapidly becomes unwieldy
>2.       This creates a maintenance nightmare when applying patches or updates
>3.       This works, but implementation (e.g. Visual Studio) leaves a lot to be
desired.

>This suggestion proposes a fourth method:  Conditional Check-out.
>This works (as far as the complier is concerned) in much the same way as Conditional Compilation,
>but moves the decision on whether to compile specific code back to the point where the
codebase is obtained from SVN,
>rather than relying on the flaky mechanisms provided within the IDE.
>This means that the developer has to very consciously decide which instance she is building
before even seeing the code.
>It will also support automated build processes (e.g. Cruise Control) which checks-out
code for continuous integration builds.

>It works like this.
>Any (existing) code (which is un-adorned by the new SVN decoration) is treated as ‘common’
to all instances.
>This ensures 100% backwards compatibility, with no changes being required to existing
source code, or clients.

>Sections of code which apply to, or are omitted from, one or more specific instances are
decorated by a new SVN decoration (both before & after the relevant section).
>This section is then either included or excluded, as appropriate, when the code base is
obtained from SVN repository.

>The ‘checkout’ and ‘update’ commands in clients will have the ability to be ‘told’
(maybe from a pull-down list of recent values) which specific instance should be obtained,
>and SVN includes or omits sections of code as required. A special value, over and above
the user-named instances is required.
>This is ‘ALL CODE’. This obtains all the codebase, including all instance-specific
code, with the decorations for specific sections included.
>This is primarily for documentation and review purposes, but also provides a ‘base’
from which further instance-specific changes can be made.

>The decoration referred to is similar in fashion to the keywords already existing in SVN,
and can exist as comments in the source code.
>There would be two variants of the decoration to either:
>1.       Include this code section only when a specific instance is required. It
will not be included for all other instances (except ALL CODE).
>2.       To exclude this code section when a specific instance is required. It will
be included for all other instances (including ALL CODE).